From: " Staffan Emrén " <staffan.emren@×××.se>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] iptables window of opportunity at startup
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 21:10:25
1 However, as far as I know, iptables is perfectly happy creating rules for non-existent
2 interfaces. Of course this can have changed, but when I first learned to use iptables
3 the doc specifically sugested setting up iptables rules before bringing up the network.
4 By the way, this is what I do at my firewall (allthough it runs debian, not gentoo),
5 first starting iptables and then networking. Probably it's paranoid, but that way there
6 is not even a theoretical possibility of an unsecure window during boot (for example,
7 if a misconfiguration brings up a vulnerable service before the firewall is up).
8
9 /Staffan Emrén
12 Societas Archaeologica Upsaliensis
13 018 - 10 79 30 www.sau.se