From: Mansour Moufid <mansourmoufid@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Encrypting a user home folder on a laptop
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 21:12:41
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 I've been using dm-crypt with twofish-lrw-benbi:ripemd160 for (swap
4 and /tmp) because, if I understand correctly, Twofish is more
5 optimized in the Linux kernel than AES (and therefore faster). I've
6 been thinking of using AES on /home.
7 One thing I don't understand is the term "benbi". Does this have
8 something to do with IV generation?
9
10 One last thing. I've heard that LRW will be replaced with XTS. [1]
11 IIRC correctly, the XTS cipher mode isn't in the Linux kernel yet?
12 Also, from what I've read, the problems with LRW boil down to a
13 "traitor tracing" problem, that repeated physical access to a drive is
14 needed, and even then one could theoretically only confirm the
15 presence of a known plaintext. Am I getting this right?
16
17 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_P1619#LRW_issue
18
19 Sincerely,