From: Cameron Blackwood <korg@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Kernels and GLSAs
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 03:51:32
1 Jason Stubbs writes:
2 |
3 | Unfortunately, that is *too* correct. Unfortunate in that both
4 | --depclean and --update only consider USE flags defined in make.conf and
5 | package.use (and embedded in .tbz2s when using binaries). This means
6 | that if package "foo" depends on package "bar" due to USE flag "baz"
7 | being enabled at install time and "baz" is subsequently disabled, "bar"
8 | becomes an orphaned package as far as the graph goes - even though it is
9 | still required.
10 |
11 | What does this mean in terms of security? The "only install what you
12 | need" rule is twice as important. Until portage is a little smarter, I
13 | would consider a "healthy" system to be one where `emerge -uDNvp world`
14 | shows no differing USE flags and both `emerge -p --depclean` and
15 | `revdep-rebuild -p` show no packages.
16 |
19 eeek! depclean wants to remove portmap and screen and all this other
20 stuff I need. Ah, because it isnt in /var/lib/portage/world I
21 guess... it seems Ive overestimated emerge's work.
24 Ok, so just to get this _totally_ clear, I should:
27 * manally place package names I need in /var/lib/portage/world
28
29 * check my install with
30 emerge sync
31 emerge -uDNpv world
32 revdep-rebuild -p
33 glsa-check -l |& grep '\[N\]'
34
35 * update any packages listed by those last 3 commands
38 Maybe Im just too lazy, but there must be a set of 'best' commands
39 to update/check a system documented/written down somewhere? Hopefully
40 in a possibly automated way. If there isnt, then lets try and cobble
41 one together. :)
44 Ah, the simple days when I'd get a list of packages I wanted to keep,
45 remove them from an rpm -qa and then keep trying to remove every
46 package left until there was no change (and depend on dependancy
47 trees to keep stuff that I need). :)
50 cheers,
51 cam
55 / `Rev Dr' cam at darkqueen.org Roleplaying, virtual goth \
56 < http://darkqueen.org Poly, *nix, Python, C/C++, genetics, ATM >
57 \ [+61 3] 9809 1523[h] skeptic, Evil GM(tm). Sysadmin for hire /
58 ---------- Random Quote ----------
59 Rev. Jim: What does an amber light mean?
60 Bobby: Slow down.
61 Rev. Jim: What... does... an... amber... light... mean?
62 Bobby: Slow down.
63 Rev. Jim: What.... does.... an.... amber.... light....
64 --
65 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list