From: Christophe Choumert <christophe.choumert@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] How to make iptables log to a separate log file?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 03:33:06
1 On Sunday 27 November 2005 11:27, Abhay Kedia wrote:
2 > /var/log/messages is getting flooded by iptables log. I can't see any
3 > helpful output by using dmesg. The kernel config says that ULOG is
4 > deprecated so I don't know how good it would be to use it. Also the
5 > kernel.log/kern.log is not getting updated with messages like
6 > connection of a USB device and all; so can't leave dmesg altogether.
7
8 To get a clearer /var/log/messages, you can use the f_notfirewall filter
9 proposed earlier in the thread, with something like :
10 log { source(src); filter(f_notfirewall); destination(messages); };
11 in syslog-ng.conf.
12
13 However dmesg will still be cluttered : I don't think you have any other
14 sane solution than ULOG for this.
15 Or maybe you should investigate why the usb messages are discarded ?
16
17 Regards,
18 Christophe
19 --