From: Phil Cryer <phil@×××××.us>
To: Mateusz Neumann <mete0@××.pl>
Cc: Anthony Metcalf <anthony.metcalf@×××××××××××.cx>, gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Do I need to rebuild things after upgrading ssl?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:19:46
1 Mateusz Neumann said:
2 > W li¶cie z czw, 18-03-2004, godz. 12:33, Anthony Metcalf pisze:
3 >> > I think that it's not necessary if those applications were compiled
4 >> > with dynamic linking. So most applications don't need to be
5 >> > recompiled.
6 >> >
7 >> I would have thought this was the case. If it is not, could someone
8 >> explain why?
9 >>
10 >> > Btw. how to determine which applications are compiled against openssl?
11 >> > And which applications are linked statically and which dynamically
12 >> > with openssl?
13 >> >
14 >
15 > revdep-rebuild --soname libssl.so.0.9.6
16 > revdep-rebuild --soname libssl.so.0.9.7
17 >
18 > .m
19
20 ...and actually, this is what I did last night, as after emerging 0.9.7 it
21 told me as much. The problem came when it hit Abiword; it told me that it
22 was 'blocking' and that I should manually fix that, and then rerun the
23 revdep-rebuild. Since the Abiword that was blocking was pre2, I thought
24 I'd just unmerge it since I now only use Abiword-2. I issued the 'emerge
25 unmerge abiword', and that's when I noticed emerge was borked due to the
26 openssl so not being in line. This is where I got stuck and hit this
27 list. So, why did emerging 0.9.7 take away the 0.9.6 so? I *think*
28 that's what happened at least.
29
30 P
31 --