From: Daniel Fairhead <madprof@×××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] [Fwd: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Automated SSH login attempts?]
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:50:34
1 > > I can understand a MCSE (meaning someone who's only admin training is a
2 > > MCSE prep course) creating those dumb accounts on a Windows box, but why
3 > > would any Linux/UNIX admin ever open their box up like that? They might as
4 > > well just bend over and pull down their pants ;)
5 >
6 > :) I've nearly same question too, but I think this way: if somebody try to
7 > hack using these 'cool' :) accounts then there probably exists some servers
8 > with these 'cool' accounts or there exists some hidden meaning for trying
9 > to login using these accounts ... or this 'hacker' is idiot.
10
11 Most likely some ISP or webhost, with many boxes with these accounts, so the
12 worm based at them, particually, but spread? I know that some machines I have
13 used (UK2, etc) have been set up in strange ways... perhaps some somewhere
14 does these stupid accounts?
15
16 > So my initial question mean: is community sure there is no such 'hidden
17 > meaning' in these attacks?
18
19 I second the question :-)
20