From: Adam Sroka <asroka@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] SSH probes
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 22:10:36
Brian Micek wrote:
> I don't think you understand what I'm proposing. I am currently > cat(1)ing /dev/urandom on TCP port 22 in hopes to discourage hackers > who attempt to break into my system. Its beyond me how this is > treading on dangerous ground, what systems I'll endanger or what is > morally wrong with doing this. Brian Micek > > On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 15:19 -0500, William Yang wrote: >> agenci
It's roughly analogous to pointing a loaded shotgun at the door and tying a string to the trigger so that whoever opens the door gets shot. There is a pretty good chance that you'll shoot the wrong person - most likely yourself. And, assuming you do shoot someone, you'll have a pretty nasty wrongful death suit on your hands regardless of whether the person you shot had any business opening the door. What you are proposing to do is to attack anyone who comes knocking. The problem is that you don't know who is going to come knocking or how they might be disguising themselves, using someone else's resources, etc. Your counterattack may not affect the hacker who attacks your system at all. It may affect an innocent bystander or even your own system. -- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-security] SSH probes "Łukasz C. Jokiel" <Lukasz.Jokiel@××××××××××.pl>