From: Dan Reidy <dubkat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Encryption Ciphers
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 00:50:11
1 On Wednesday 27 February 2008 01:58:11 pm Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I just did some benchmarking on different ciphers for cryptsetup-luks
5 > and now I've got some questions:
6 >
7 > 1. Is it a valid way to benchmark by using "time dd if=/dev/zero
8 > of=/dev/mapper/cryptmapping -bs=1M"? The results seem to match other
9 > benchmarks but I just want to be sure.
10 >
11 > 2. I've tested every (sensible) cipher with 64, 128, 256 and 320bits
12 > keysize (if supported). Apparently I can choose between:
13 >
14 > Blowfish 64-256bit
15 > Twofish 128-256bit
16 > AES 128-256bit
17 > Anubis 128-320bit
18
19 I've never done any benchmarks myself, however a few years back I did read
20 up on which crytpo engine would be best for a large hard disk or partition.
21 I do remember clearly that there is a bug in AES's block cyper that causes
22 it to repeat keys on large disks/partitions. This "feature" could make it
23 easier for your key to be cracked. I personally use Twofish 256 with
24 SHA256, ive never tried any other hash method. I also use Serpent on my
25 swap, for no other reason than to try something different - and it's a cool
26 name. (flame on!).
27
28 I tried to find that link that explains that AES flaw, but to no avail.
29 Maybe you'll have better luck if it's something that concerns you.
30
31 ps. i am obviously no expert in cryptology - take my comments with a grain
32 of salt.
37
38 Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux.
39 The choice of a GNU Generation.