From: Devon <devon@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Profiting on the Community (wasTCP vulnerability)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:13:48
1 [multiple replies here]
2
3 Daniel Brandt wrote:
4
5 > I don't think jealosy has anything to do with it. But seeing how some
6 > in the industry profit out of freely available exploit code and
7 > original research, without giving either credit or some of the profit
8 > back to the originators, I understand them.
9
10 Understood. :)
11
12 > How fun do you think it would be for a guy hacking away at some
13 > exploit code in his dormroom for free, only to discover it the
14 > next day in an advisory. That would piss me off badly.
15
16 Are you pissed because someone stole your work? Or are you pissed
17 because someone else found the flaw faster than you? In the scenario you
18 describe above, it sounds like someone else found the flaw before you
19 and there was no mal intent against you.
20
21 > When security companies get tired of trying to be the
22 > first to announce an advisory, it might even become a nice place again.
23
24 With the money to be made pushing "security solutions", I wouldn't hold
25 my breath. :)
26
27 Florian Weimer wrote:
28
29 > However, I'm sure that most of this rediscovery is truly indepedent.
30
31 According to NISCC's website, Steve Bellovin and Rob Thomas helped with
32 the advisory. I would hope that both people knew about the original ISN
33 problems. Why would they help rehash old news? Profit? I would hope not.
34 Fame? Steve and Rob are well known in the network security field.
35
36 BTW, I appreciate this discussion with everyone. I have been following
37 the same discussions on other mailing list and this one seems to be the
38 most level-headed without any ego. :)
39
40 Devon
43 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list