From: Tobias Weisserth <tobias@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] Re: System knockout :-(
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 23:01:30
1 Hi,
2
3 David Talkington schrieb:
4
5 >Repeat after me as you write on the chalkboard 100 times (*):
6 >
7 >RAID is not a backup solution.
10 As I said, backups are not the issue. I have almost everything on CD.
11 What I don't have on CD is a working Gentoo system. I wish I had that on
12 a second mirror drive or as an image (for example via partimage). The
13 problem was that I didn't have a second drive big enough.
14
15 RAID would have saved me the hassle of installing from scratch again.
16
17 But looking on the bright side... I didn't use kernel 2.6 so far. Thus
18 this hard drive betrayel is the perfect opportunity to install a fine
19 tuned 2.6 system...
20
21 I guess I'll have to go shopping for two new drives then.
22
23 >It is uptime protection against a very specific set of possible
24 >hardware-related failures. Disk redundancy does nothing to protect you
25 >from deleted files, breakins, emerges gone awry, careless use of root
26 >privilege, scripting bugs, corrupted filesystems, improper shutdowns, ad
27 >nauseum. Make backups. If you have data that you truly care about,
28 >make offsite backups.
31 Well, disk redundancy would have saved me the hassle of reinstallation,
32 taken that only one drive screws up.
33
34 >Good luck ... -d
37 Thanks,