From: Joel Osburn <tjeckleberg@××××.com>
To: 'Jeremy Huddleston' <eradicator@g.o>, gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-security] Do I need to rebuild thingsafterupgradingssl?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:05:01
1 Quoting Jeremy Huddleston:
2 >They DO need to be recompiled if you have a newer version of the
3 >dynamic lib that breaks binary compatibility but maintains API
4 >compatibility (as we do here, or with libpng as another example).
5 >That is why the -soname was changed. Usually, packages have the
6 >-soname match lib<libname>.so.<major version> and changing
7 >minor/tiny versions won't break binary incompatibility, but
8 >openssl likes to use the tiny version to denote binary
9 >compatibility.
10
11 Right. And when you upgrade from any openssl-0.9.6x version to the
12 0.9.7x series, the ebuild tells you to run revdep-rebuild to solve that
13 problem.
14
15 >You can't. That's why you should't use static libraries.
16
17 The end user doesn't always get to choose; sometimes it's the
18 developer. My understanding (my apologies if it's flawed) is that
19 mod_ssl is statically compiled against openssl, so everyone using
20 apache-1.x and mod_ssl needs to recompile mod_ssl after updating
21 openssl. Is there anything else? And how does one know that?
22
23 >you could do a 'readelf -s <exec> | grep <symbol>' on executables
24 >to see if that symbol is present in the file...
25
26 That's a pretty painful thing to do on every executable, but if that's
27 all there is...
28
29 -Joel Osburn
33 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list