From: Bryan O'Shea <bryan05@××××××××.net>
To: Dan Margolis <krispykringle@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] SSH login attempts and /var/log/wtmp
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 16:39:17
1 On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Dan Margolis wrote:
2
3 > --[PinePGP]--------------------------------------------------[begin]--
4 > Bryan O'Shea wrote:
5 >
6 > | After further investigation I have gone through all my backup logs and
7 > | noticed a user test was installed on the attempts in question. The user
8 > | was later deleted by a bulk user cleanup script I run to delete old
9 > | accounts. I further saw login attempts in my logs for the user test
10 > | after the account was deleted and no entries showed up in my 'last'
11 > | output on further login attempts. I had the shell set to /bin/false.
12 >
13 > I assume you mean you or a package installed the user test intentionally
14 > and used it to log in?
15
16 Yes the user test was installed intentionally to run some test software on
17 the system. It happened to have a weak pasword and the ssh scans/attempts
18 just happend to coincide during/before I removed that user.
23 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list