From: Anthony Gorecki <agorecki@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] Re: Why we need TPM in Linux kernel?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:03:27
1 On Tuesday, November 22, 2005 15:15, Dan Noe wrote:
2 > This would enable enhanced
3 > virus/malware protection, because the evil code wouldn't be signed by a
4 > trusted party.
5 >
6 > I don't know much about the technology at this point, but like many
7 > things just because it /can/ be abused doesn't mean it is per se a bad
8 > idea. It can be used to make computing safer, especially in an open
9 > source environment where the uses are freely criticized
10
11 I agree with the above.
12
13 I will never tolerate the use of digital restrictions management technology if
14 it is required by a third party, however if I wish to use certain aspects of
15 trusted computing for my own purposes, I welcome the kernel's support of that
16 technology. Dubious uses of the technology are to be expected by corporations
17 such as Microsoft, but I believe that it can also be very valuable for
18 legitimate implementations.
22 Anthony Gorecki
23 Ectro-Linux Foundation