From: Barry Schwartz <trashman@×××××××××.com>
To: David Talkington <dtalk@××××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Re: System knockout :-(
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 19:12:42
1 It seems to me that a customized operating system is data in need of
2 backing up. Indeed the _structure_ of one's filesystems is data you
3 need to back up. What if you lose some access control settings that
4 you made long ago and have forgotten? Put it all on tape. Make as
5 much of it recoverable as you can. Use a program like tar that is
6 widely available.
7
8 (I also like to use numeric owner and group IDs in my tars, so that
9 restoring doesn't depend on password and groups data. I learned this
10 from a bad experience.)
13 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list