From: Kevin Enslow <enslow@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] hosts.{allow,deny} vs. iptables.
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:04:39
One reason I can think of is to keep it simple across platforms.
tcpd is, in general OS non-specific. When you need to make security
suggestions that span platforms (Linux, Solaris, BSD, etc) this is what
you want. You can install tcpd on all platforms, and the configuration
is the same.

iptables is Linux specific. To create the same functionallity on other
platforms, you will be stuck with several different packages and config
files to provide the same functionallity. This can become hard to manage
very quickly.

.------[ Peter Volkov wrote (2005/10/13 at 12:32:05 AM) ]------