From: Oliver Schad <o.schad@×××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] firewall suggestions?
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 10:13:19
1 Am Freitag, 9. Januar 2004 07:36 schrieb mir Mark Hurst:
2 > > Probably you think ICMP is dangerous too. There are a lot of brain
3 > > dead admins who blocks ICMP packets and they wonder why connections
4 > > to some websites are broken or if they administrate the packet filter
5 > > before a webserver they wonder why some user grouches they wouldn't
6 > > get a connection to the web server.
7 >
8 > Ever heard of Smurf or Loki?
9 >
10 > If you allow all ICMP in you are indeed a brain-dead admin, in my
11 > opinion. Sure, host unreachable, DF should be allowed in, but why
12 > should an external host be able to send timestamp or subnet requests?
13
14 You can reject some unuseful things like that, but what I wanted to say is
15 that communication is not bad you connect to the internet to communicate.
16 There a different types of ICMP messages, you don't *need* all of them
17 but you should know, that communication and ICMP is not a bad thing.
18
19 mfg
20 Oli
23 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list