From: Oliver Schad <o.schad@×××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] firewall suggestions?
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 10:13:19
Am Freitag, 9. Januar 2004 07:36 schrieb mir Mark Hurst:
> > Probably you think ICMP is dangerous too. There are a lot of brain > > dead admins who blocks ICMP packets and they wonder why connections > > to some websites are broken or if they administrate the packet filter > > before a webserver they wonder why some user grouches they wouldn't > > get a connection to the web server. > > Ever heard of Smurf or Loki? > > If you allow all ICMP in you are indeed a brain-dead admin, in my > opinion. Sure, host unreachable, DF should be allowed in, but why > should an external host be able to send timestamp or subnet requests?
You can reject some unuseful things like that, but what I wanted to say is that communication is not bad you connect to the internet to communicate. There a different types of ICMP messages, you don't *need* all of them but you should know, that communication and ICMP is not a bad thing. mfg Oli -- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list