From: Miguel Figueiredo Mascarenhas Sousa Filipe <miguel.filipe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] Re: [gentoo-hardened] Securing dhcpcd (client)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 11:27:21
1 Hi,
2
3 On 10/8/06, 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > It is my understanding that dhcpcd client requires root or a
5 > privileged user. Am presently running dhcpcd in a chroot jail (ssp and
6 > grsecurity-hardened kernel) as user root (ugh). (This is a laptop used
7 > at hotspots, so I think I need to use dhcp).
10 Not all dhcp clients run has root.
11
12 in ubuntu linux, the dhclient is running with "daemon" user.
13 I haven't looked carefully how to acomplish this in gentoo.. but I will.
17 > Other distributions distribute dhcpcd with a "paranoia" patch incorporated
18 >
19 > <http://www.episec.com/people/edelkind/patches/dhcp/dhcp-2.0+paranoia.patch>
20 >
21 > which allows the dropping of privilege and changing of user/group after startup.
24 It would be nice to have that integrated.
28 > Questions:
29 >
30 > 1 Does Gentoo have an "official" way to apply this patch.
31 >
32 > 2 Presuming that it doesn't, I guess that I'll ebuild unpack: patch
33 > the source manually; ebuild merge !?
34 >
35 > 3. Are there other ways to deal with this potential vulnerability
36 > (privileged process listening on an open port (68) )? (e.g. using
37 > selfdhcp and effecting a manual connection?)
40 privilege revocation/separation on the aplication in case seems the better way.
41
42 > TIA, newbie
43 > --
44 > gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list