From: Andrea Barisani <lcars@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o, Niels Provos <provos@××××××××××.edu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Re: [gentoo-hardened] Systrace resurrection
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:20:46
1 On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:01:54AM -0400, Joshua Brindle wrote:
2
3 > This is no flamewar. The model is broken by my standards. It bypasses
4 > built-in DAC and capabilities in the kernel making it the single attack
5 > vector to gain all access on the system. Compare to grsecurity, rsbac,
6 > selinux which do not bypass kernel access control or escalate privileges.
7 >
8 > Further, the "lets ask the user if they want to allow this" is
9 > inherently flawed. It is a discretionary model, the policy is in no way
10 > analyzable. I suggest you read these articles:
11 > http://securityblog.org/brindle/2006/03/25/security-anti-pattern-status-quo-encapsulation/
12 > http://securityblog.org/brindle/2006/04/19/security-anti-pattern-path-based-access-control/
15 Thanks for the links.
16
17 It appears we have different standards. I don't find it "broken" at all while
18 I still see why it's not compatible with yours standards. I can see the
19 design issue maybe, but that's far from considering it "broken" or a security
20 issue imho.
21
22 This is just a matter of perspective. And anyway one thing are design issues,
23 one is a real security problem. As it is now sys-apps/systrace and/or
24 sys-kernel/systrace are not a security issue from a
25 vulnerability/exploitability POV. So I'm going to keep it there as a
26 standalone thing, regarding Hardened inclusion we'll discuss this (since I'd
27 like to hear other hardened team opinions) and if the team doesn't agree then
28 fine it won't be supported.
29
30 > First it will never be accepted by hardened. Second, I believe that
31 > security critical packages (particularly access control systems) should
32 > go through hardened. Random developers *should not* be putting access
33
34 I completely disagree with this, security critical packages should not go
35 through hardened by default and anyway there is no policy for that. This case
36 is an example of why the policy is broken. I want to provide the *choice* of
37 using/installing systrace, if this doesn't appeal your standards it doesn't necessarily
38 mean it should be removed from the tree (unless it's a security issue, which is clearly
39 not).
40
41 Btw we are not advertising/documenting this as the perfect security solution,
42 so let's not make a big fuss about a unstable ebuild. This *random* developer
43 (member of the Gentoo Security team) would just like to provide a choice to
44 our users.
45
46 Cheers
49 Andrea Barisani <lcars@g.o> .*.
50 Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Developer V
51 ( )
52 PGP-Key 0x864C9B9E http://dev.gentoo.org/~lcars/pubkey.asc ( )
53 0A76 074A 02CD E989 CE7F AC3F DA47 578E 864C 9B9E ^^_^^
54 "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate"
55 --
56 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list