From: "Joshua J. Berry" <condor-gentoo@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] For folks interested in helping with gentoo security efforts
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:07:26
1 On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:17:59AM -0500, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > All --
3 >
4 > Based on recent threads, I thought I'd articulate some of the areas where
5 > the gentoo security team needs assistance. These are listed in order of
6 > priority, but all of the positions are very important to our efforts to
7 > have a cohesive security team.
8
9 I go to college fulltime, but I do have some breaks here and there where
10 I might be able to help out.
13 > 1) Security bug wranglers -- we need folks to watch Bugzilla for new
14 > security bugs. When new bugs come in, they need to validate them, work
15 > with the dev team to get things patched and (at the same time) work on
16 > writing up the GLSA so it's ready for publication at the same time the
17 > patched ebuilds are.
18
19 I can help with this, once I learn your processes. I'm familiar with
20 both C and Bugzilla, although I don't know how much time I'll have to
21 spend on actually writing code to validate/test exploits. I think I
22 would be best here at handling random administrative kinds of things;
23 for instance, taking an already-validated exploit and writing a GLSA for
24 it, or incorporating an already-made patch into an ebuild.
25
26 > 2) Documentation writers -- we *really* need 1 or 2 good documentation
27 > writers. Folks who know or can learn GuideXSL (if you know HTML, you
28 > can learn GuideXSL) and can help put our policies and procedures to
29 > paper so they can be published on the security page. A lot of the work
30 > here will be talking to a bunch of different folks to understand how
31 > things work currently and then compiling that in a form that is easy to
32 > understand for external users.
33
34 I am fairly good at writing documentation, and I can pick up GuideXSL
35 along the way. Again, this is just a question of how much time I'll
36 have to spend on this. :)
37
38 At the very least, I would be happy to edit what others write.
39 Hopefully I will have time to actually write stuff, but that depends on
40 my schedule next quarter.
41
42 Next week is my spring break, so if you want my help, I will have plenty
43 of time then to get up to speed.
44
45 -- Josh (CondorDes on IRC)
46
48 Joshua J. Berry
49
50 "I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere."
51 -- /usr/games/fortune
52
53 NOTE: Please do not submit this email address to any mailing
54 lists or websites without prior permission. Thank you.