From: Michel Wilson <michel@×××××××.net>
To: Tom Hosiawa <tomek32@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-security <gentoo-security@l.g.o>, Peter Warmuz <peter@××××××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] tripwire policy generator
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:15:06
1 On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 02:06:39AM +0000, Tom Hosiawa wrote:
2 > I've used tripwire a little bit, and I'm starting to like it.
3 >
4 > The biggest problem I see with it, is the default policy is setup for
5 > Red Hat, not for Gentoo. I know a Gentoo policy file exists in bugzilla,
6 > but I'm thinking of creating a script to generate the policy file based
7 > specifically on installed packages in portage.
8 >
9 > So before I go ahead with this plan, I thought I get some feedback on my
10 > ideas.
11 >
12 > >From playing around with the policy file, I see it groups and
13 > categorizes files into different security types and priorities such as
14 > critical, suid, config , log, etc.
15 >
16 > So for every installed package, I would put it into its own group. Than
17 > I would assign binary files (/bin, /usr/bin), superuser files (/sbin,
18 > /usr/sbin), suid (search for them), config (/etc), log (/var/log) files
19 > into their appropriate categories.
20 >
21 > Finally, providing options to generate it for only system packages with
22 > no user input, and individual package selection should be an option.
23 >
24 > Tom
25 >
26 Tripwire is nice, but I think a custom-developed solution would be much
27 better for Gentoo. Gentoo keeps md5-sums for each package in
28 /var/db/pkg/<category>/<package>/CONTENTS. What I would suggest is a
29 system whereby we sign these CONTENTS-files with a GPG key. A second
30 option would be to create a new file in this same location, specifically
31 designed for integrity checking.
32
33 Starting with the first option: this should be quite simple to implement.
34 Just build a script which signs all the CONTENTS-files with your GPG
35 key, and the database is build. Then, for each scan, the md5-sums of the
36 files are checked against the real file, and the md5-sum of the
37 CONTENTS-file is checked.
38 A disadvantage of this approach is that some of the flexibility of the
39 Tripwire system is lost. It is no longer possible to assign priorities
40 to the different files, or to completely ignore certain files. This is
41 where the second option comes in. Here, we are free to assign priorities
42 to the individual files. We can also specify which aspects of the file
43 should be checked: just the modification times, or the contents.
44
45 The major advantage of this integrated system would be that the integrity
46 information can be automatically updated if the user installs a new
47 package. Normally, with Tripwire, system maintenance is a nuisance. Every
48 time a new package is installed, Tripwire will generate false alarms.
49 Or, at least, when I used it it did, because I always forgot to update
50 the database...
51
52 Regards,
53