From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] new ssh worm?
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:24:03
1 Greg Watson wrote:
2 > Over the past few days I've noticed many attempts from different sources
3 > trying to login on ssh via guest/test/admin/etc accounts. Looking
4 > further into the matter I found SANS is looking for information too.
5 >
6 > http://www.incidents.org/diary.php?date=2004-07-23
7 > http://www.incidents.org/diary.php?date=2004-07-25
8 >
9 > and more information here:
10 > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10854834~mode=flat~days=9999
11 >
12 > It appears as the net is getting hit with these all over. I would guess
13 > this is a very early stage of some kind of new worm/exploit in the
14 > works. What is more, it appears to have the ability to pass some NAT
15 > boxes by tricking them into replying back to the source.
16 >
17 > If you're not already doing so, I recommend to disable password
18 > interactive login and enforce key only logins. This will prevent some
19 > of the ssh exploits, brute-force attacks, and general script kiddies.
20 >
21 > And as always, upgrade to the latest version of OpenSSH/OpenSSL.
22
23 I'm glad to know it isn't just me. I've been getting woken up at 4 or 5 in the
24 morning by my phone beeping because of this crap. I have my server setup to
25 email me and send me a text message to my cell phone when there is a failed
26 login attempt.
29 Andrew Gaffney
30 Network Administrator
31 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.