From: Panagiotis Atmatzidis <p.atmatzidis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Running untrusted software
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:54:01
1 Hello,
2
3 On 1/18/06, Oliver Schad <o.schad@×××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 > Am Mittwoch, 18. Januar 2006 15:58 schrieb mir Douglas Breault Jr:
6 > > I am being forced to run software on my computer that I do not
7 > > inherently trust. It is supposed to collect a few pieces of
8 > > information, mainly my mac addresses and use the network. It is a
9 > > one-time use CSA (client security agent). It uses a csh script to
10 > > unpack a "proprietary binary" that we cannot see the source. There is
11 > > no assurance it doesn't collect other information or change anything
12 > > on my computer.
13 >
14 > If you don't trust this software don't use it in trusted environment
15 > which includes trusted system and trusted network.
16 >
17 > > I was curious as to what is the best way to handle this and
18 > > situations like these. In this instance, I was assuming downloading,
19 > > and running on a LiveCD would seem like the best policy.
20 >
21 > Is your host in a trusted network?
22 >
23 > > What if it
24 > > uses methods to discover that and I need to run it on my real
25 > > installation? Is a chroot jail the next best thing?
26 >
27 > From a chroot environment you can easily escape on a standard kernel.
28 > Grsec offers a real chroot jail.
32 Can you explain further please? How can an intruder bypass a chrooted
33 enviroment *easilly*?
34
35 > As far as I know,
36 > > to make a chroot jail I merely copy programs and libraries inside a
37 > > folder with the proper / hierarchy and chroot into it. Is it more
38 > > complex than this and are there any guides?
39 >
40 > # esearch jail
41 >
42 > Best Regards