From: Yves Younan <yyounan@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 09:56:24
1 On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 18:11, Tobias Weisserth wrote:
2 > How should a root kit fool my Tripwire setup if the necessary binaries
3 > and the database are on a mounted CD? :-) This is *extremely* unlikely
4 > and probably demands a *very* difficult attack approach.
5 If an attacker controls the kernel, he can control whatever is
6 supposedly read from the CD.
7
8 > I'm doing the same with chkrootkit. Write protected media can't be
9 > fooled :-)
10 It can, unless you boot from read-only media with a minimal system that
11 you trust and then run the 'chkrootkit' tool.
12
13 - YY
14 They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
15 deserve neither liberty nor safety.
16 - Benjamin Franklin