From: Daniel Heemann <daniel.heemann@×××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Built in integrity?
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:27:35
1 On Monday 09 February 2004 19:44, James Dennis wrote:
2 > Anyway, my point is, it would be nice if Gentoo came with something
3 > similar to what OpenBSD has. It's like tripwire, but stripped down and
4 > built into cron right from the get go to check your system for file
5 > changes. As Gentoo is going down the path of making things more secure
6 > out of the box (with the removal of setuid on things as an example) I
7 > think we could benefit from something like this. I know cron isn't a
8 > required install, but would it be possible to have something be ready
9 > to go once a cron daemon was installed?
10
11 You can use 'aide' to watch for file changes.
12 A more basic question IMHO is: Is gentoo the right distribution if you need
13 a secure system? Normally on a system which needs to be secure you don't
14 have any compiler, do not update the software as often as gentoo 'require'
15 this etc. - I like gentoo very much for development/desktop systems, but to
16 build a server which needs to be stable and does not need to be often
17 maintained I prefer debian stable or similar.
20 "Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary
21 safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
25 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list