From: Miguel Filipe <miguel.filipe@×××××.com>
To: solar@g.o
Cc: John Richard Moser <nigelenki@×××××××.net>, gentoo-security@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 03:01:03
1 I second this!!
2 I would love to see gentoo be more "proactive by default"...
3 sanboxing services whenever possible (like its done with dhcpd and bind)
4 priv-separation wherever doable, inclusively porting software from
5 openbsd, like their new dhcp server and clients and ntp server :)
6
7 I say this but don't "show code" simply because i'm not that
8 experienced to implement "safer" code,
9 nor to chroot a lot of software, nor am I capable of evaluate if such
10 service is chrootable :)
11
12 for instance, would there be any advantage in chrooting mysql? what
13 about tomcat?
14 is java code free from the dreadfull buffer overflow + shellcode?
15
16 So.. I support very dearly this idea..
17
18 greetings to all,
19 and thanks to all gentoo developers for gentoo :D
20