From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Cc: Paige Thompson <erratic@×××××.ws>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Security project meeting summary
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:02:21
1 On Tuesday 22 July 2008, Paige Thompson wrote:
2 > misfit[1004]:~% sudo emerge -uva nethack
3 > Password:
4 >
5 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
6 >
7 > Calculating dependencies |
8 > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "games-roguelike/nethack" have
9 > been masked.
10 > !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
11 > request:
12 > - games-roguelike/nethack-3.4.3-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
13 > /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
14 > # Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o> (21 Mar 2006)
15 > # masked pending unresolved security issues #125902
18 > For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
19 > page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
20
21 Sorry, I do not understand the point you are trying to make. Nethack has
22 an unresolved security bug, and if you want to install it anyway, put
23 it in your /etc/portage/package.unmask -- as described in
24 "man emerge". I do not see the gain by setting up a system that would
25 completely ignore *all* security-related package masks.
28 Robert