From: Mark Hurst <mark@××××××.net>
To: poohsuntzu@×××××××.net
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] firewall suggestions?
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:08:35
Can also recommend fwbuilder, nice GUI, handles iptables, PF, ipfilter.
Generates executable scripts for you. I like it.

In terms of firewalls available there is iptables only, what people are
recommending here are applications for handling iptables rules.

Apparently Darren Reed has been working on porting IPfilter to Linux. Has
anyone else heard this?

It's much better to have a firewall than just have ports not open. Even
though a port is not open it can reveal the presence of your machine by
the manner in which the IP stack responds to a connection attempt. Using a
firewall you can drop those packets, making all your closed ports