From: James Harlow <james@××××××××××××××.nu>
To: shoehn@××××××××××××××××××××.info
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Built in integrity?
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:56:12
1 On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:29:57AM +0100, shoehn@××××××××××××××××××××.info wrote:
2 > If portage uses an evil server both the files and the MD5 values are
3 > tampered, the problem is that the user considers the wrong MD5 value
4 > as correct. I do not generate a file that has the "official" MD5
5 > value, I give the user a wrong MD5 value, by establishing a bad mirror.
6
7 Presumably this is why the checksums are distributed out-of-band of the
8 distfiles.
11 When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. - Jonathan Swift
14 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list