From: Tarragon Allen <lists@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Secure deletion of files...
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 00:01:22
1 On Mon, 3 May 2004 11:41 pm, CRV§ADER//KY wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 27 April 2004 15:50, M. Steffan Noé wrote:
3 > > Hello everybody
4 > > I just saw the comment about THC-SecureDelete on this website
5 > >
6 > > http://www.thc.org/releases.php
7 > >
8 > > > This is the best secure data deletion toolkit! If you overwrite a file
9 > > > for 10+ times, it can still be recovered. Read why and use the programs
10 > > > included (w/src!). These tools can wipe files, free disk space, swap
11 > > > and memory! Changes: Linux LKM for secure file deletion included, small
12 > > > bufixes.
13 > >
14 > > and asked myself if this wouldn't be a good enhancement... inside of the
15 > > linux kernel...
16 > >
17 > > Not only for security. I think if you delete a file with zeros you would
18 > > greatly enhance compression on dd backups. As far as i know the kernel
19 > > just removes the directory entry.
20 > >
21 > > The disadvantage of such a secure deletion would be an impact in
22 > > performance i think...
23 > >
24 > > What do you think about that?
25 > > Steffan Noé
26 >
27 > You mean, add a mount option to use wipe instead of standard delete?
28 >
29 > Mmmh. That wouldn't be bad to use with your /home partition, in some
30 > situations in which performance is unrelevant when compared to security
31 > (because you'd get an enormous performance leak).
32 > I like it.
33
34 Is there something wrong with 'chattr +s' ?
35
36 t
37 --
38 GPG: http://n12turbo.com/tarragon/public.key