From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] .com attachment attack?
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:09:09
1 On Saturday 14 August 2004 10:47, Adrian CAPDEFIER wrote:
2 > Hi.
3 > I seem to be the victim of an attack to get me of mailing lists.
4 > Here is the message I've been getting with the contents of the
5 > file ______-ed out.
6 > So my server doesn't allow .com attachements and this attacker somehow
7 > manages to make the mailing list manager think messages sent to me are
8 > bouncing.
9 > Am I right?
10
11 I don't think you. It is an automated reaction by the management software.
12 As you got the message, your account will not be disabled. However if you
13 perform filtering of for example .com attachments, please for the sake of
14 every email user on the planet, do not bounce them but drop them. Most
15 virii do not use a valid sender address, so those bounces just annoy
16 other innocent people besides you.
17
18 Paul
21 Paul de Vrieze