From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Boot CD for secure remote access
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:38:43
On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 15:29 -0500, Jeff Gercken wrote:

[snip brainstorm]

> > This seems fairly straightforward but then why isn't anyone doing this > already? What haven't I considered? > > It's easy to use the word encryption but is much harder to make it > work. Any recommendations on projects I should look at that may be > suitable for this purpose?
Hardened has a ~500 meg livecd for the x86 arch which may work for your needs. You can use it for many of things like forensics of compromised computer, rescue cd, install cd, work station, misc appliance. It combines a squashfs + uninonfs so you can save/load data or quickly add a package from a usb keychain and a number of other useful tools for the security minded admin. I'm not a cryptographic freak myself but I don't see any reason why the personal encrypted data you wanted to load could not come from the usb device. Questions, suggestions, ideas for improvements can be sent to the gentoo-hardened mailing list. Default console only login is hardened with the pass of hardened, the hardened user can sudo to root. -- Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> Gentoo Linux -- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list