From: Julian Phillips <julian@××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] firewall suggestions?
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:52:43
1 On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Frank Gruellich wrote:
2
3 > * Ben Cressey <ben@×××××.org> 8. Jan 04
4 > > As far as RFCs go, the only relevant excerpt I could find was quoted on
5 > > [snip]
6 >
7 > You want to read RFC1812.
8
9 I don't wish to express an opinon regarding the correct behaviour, but
10 from RFC1812 5.3.9 Packet Filtering and Access Lists we have:
11
12 "The router MUST allow packets to be silently discarded (i.e.,
13 discarded without an ICMP error message being sent)."
14
15 does this not explicting require routers to support dropping of packets?
18 > Regards, Frank.
21 Merely trying to understand the situation.
24 Julian
25
26 ---
27 User hostile.