From: Mark Hurst <mark@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Idea for easily checking for security updates.
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:06:19
1 I agree, audit-packages is excellent. This is the approach i'd like to see
2 Gentoo take. Easy to automate, simple, and effective. As you say, it's
3 trivial to have a list of vulnerable installed packages mailed to you
4 daily.
5
6 NetBSD pkgsrc will actually not allow you to install a package with a
7 known security problem. I believe this behaviour should be emulated in
8 Gentoo emerge, controlled by a flag in make.conf so it can be
9 disabled/enabled as required. Maybe USE="insecure".
10
11 It would be even more effective in Gentoo than in NetBSD, as the entire
12 Gentoo system is comprised of packages (ebuilds). The base NetBSD system
13 is not examined by audit-packages, so if a remote root vuln is discovered
14 in the base sendmail, audit-packages is not going to tell you.
15
16 Downside of course is that someone has to build and maintain the
17 vulnerablility list.
21 > Personally, I like the way it's done in NetBSD: There is a pkg called
22 > 'audit-packages', which has 2 tools: download-vulnerability-list, which
23 > does exactly that: download a current list (maintained by the NetBSD
24 > security team) of pkgs, that are vulnerable (with version of course),
25 > and a tool audit-packages, which checks all installed pkgs against this
26 > list.
27 > The clou is, that this tool integrates with the build system (emerge in
28 > Gentoo), and regularily tells you about packages which would need a
29 > security update, when you update/install a package. Include these tools
30 > in crontab, let yourself send the output of audit-packages and you're
31 > somewhat safe about the packages on your system.
34 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list