From: Ed Grimm <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Additional vulnerability in SAMBA <=3.0.7
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:52:26
1 On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Calum wrote:
2 > On Monday 15 November 2004 12:50, Christophe Garault wrote:
3 >>
4 >> This is one of my main question before having Gentoo on my servers.
5 >> What is the lifetime of ebuilds? Will I still be able to maintain
6 >> PHP4 in two years, or will I have to upgrade to PHP5 even if I don't
7 >> want new features?
8 >
9 > I wonder the same thing. I am building a server that will be very hard
10 > and expensive for me to access if anything goes wrong with the
11 > networking.
12 >
13 > I have the same questions - devfs and udev is the one I am asking
14 > myself currently. If I need to upgrade the kernel at some stage due to
15 > some exploit, or whatever, and devfs is dropped, do I trust myself to
16 > swap over to udev remotely, and get the device name changes perfect
17 > remotely?
18 >
19 > Or do I go for a slightly less mature udev now?
20
21 Most of the systems that I have encountered in a role where physical
22 access is limited do not need either devfs or udev - if nobody can get
23 to it, hotswapping USB/Firewire devices is not going to be a priority,
24 and devfs/udev isn't actually required even for hotswap (it just makes
25 it a whole lot easier). Personally, one of my annoyances with Gentoo is
26 that it complains if you don't have either (but it doesn't require udev
27 be executed, so I've installed it simply to have less panicy boots.)
28
29 On the other hand, my answer on the main question - nowhere near long
30 enough for any serious use, at the moment. Personally, I think there's
31 a need for a new set of keywords, for 'enterprise stable'. I don't see
32 this happening until many of the devs are full-time paid staff, however.
33 After all, supporting old versions is extra work, and it's not something
34 the devs are personally interested in doing.
35
36 Ed
39 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list