From: Mark Guertin <guertin@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Changes to traceroute in newest release
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:33:12
1 On 16-Dec-03, at 1:16 PM, Michael Reilly wrote:
2
3 >> Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but I certainly find the
4 >> changes
5 >> welcome.
6 >
7 > I find the change offensive. It is my system and I want the tools I
8 > install
9 > to work. There is no excuse for someone thinking they can force me to
10 > su
11 > every time I want to run traceroute. Of course the fix is obvious -
12 > chmod
13 > 4755 traceroute.
14 >
15 > Why isn't this a USE option?
16
17 a USE option for this doesn't make a lot of sense in my mind .... think
18 about it. USE="suid" could be more like USE="hackmenow" ;) The trend
19 with security is to eliminate this sort of thing, not to encourage it.
20 That said it's easy enough for you to chmod it, so maybe a simple ewarn
21 is in order for people that have this concern that they can chmod it if
22 they desire, but I agree that by default that less with these
23 permissions are better.
24
25 cfengine is the good stuff. Works on OSX too in case anyone cares :)
26
27 Mark
28
29