From: Robert Ullrich <roul76@×××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Prevent users to login directly
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 05:35:20
1 On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:44:26 -0500
2 Michael Ihde <ihde@××××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > Why not use sudo? Then you can just
5 >
6 > # sudo <command_to_run>
7 >
8 > in your case
9 >
10 > # sudo emerge system
13 The regular user (like "rob") has to be in the group "portage" to emerge things. But I
14 won't put any user in that group. The user-account "emerge" is for administrating the
15 local software so any admin who knows about that account should be able to emerge.
16 But I don't want that admin to login anonymously with "emerge". He should be named
17 first and then (only) su-ing to "emerge" instead.
18
19 > If you don't want to run emerge as root, then you can change the sudoers
20 > file to have it run under your "emerge" user. Finally, to disable
21 > logins put an asterix in the second field of the shadow file for the
22 > emerge user. Then no one can login as there is no password and only
23 > root can su to the "emerge" user.
24
25 Not everybody knows the root-password ;-)
26
27 Rob
30 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list