From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Apache Mem Usage is driving me nuts
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 10:21:54
1 Hi!
2
3 On Fri, 14 May 2004, Raymond den Ouden wrote:
4 > as I said a few days ago I launched a public web-site. after to days the
5 > server was like a zombie.
6 [... detective work ...]
7 > But on killing apache2 the server came back and the command free told
8 > me that 500 mb of swap and 350 MB was free-ed.
9 >
10 > I have looked around how I could strict apache in memory usage for the
11 > apache user.
12 > What is the best way to prevent that apache takes all memory or maybe
13 > exclude a amount of memory for apache?
14
15 Well, such memory hogging may have different causes. First off:
16 about which exact version of Apache are we talking? Did you
17 google about that version and possibly known memleaks? Other than
18 that it's important to keep in mind that some forms of PHP and/or
19 CGIs may have leaks that pile onto Apache's account.
20
21 Beyond that, limiting memory usage may be done with ulimit. But I
22 don't know how Apache handles (if at all) bumping into such a
23 limit.
24
25 I for one would rather try to find the source of the leak than
26 just curing symptoms. Although I admit that getting your service
27 up and running first might be feasible, remember that the
28 underlying problem might be more grave and restarting your
29 webservice might grind you into deeper trouble.
30
31 Greets & HTH,
32 Tobias
33 --
34 Thank you for calling $PROVIDER helpdesk. If your cupholder is
35 broken, please press 1. If you want an actual knowledgable support
36 person, please enter the IP representation of a /28 netmask."
39 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list