From: Koon <koon@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security <gentoo-security@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] tripwire policy generator
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:18:49
1 >The first approach (new tripwire-<package>) ebuilds could be done without
2 >directly involving the package maintainer, but as you point out, would
3 >increase the number of ebuilds. I doubt we'd get to the stage of
4 >duplicating every package in portage however - that's a major job ;-)
5 >
6 >The second approach would be, where each package is 'tripwire aware' is
7 >definitely the cleanest solution, but requires input from package
8 >maintainers.
9 >
10 >A third possible solution would be to develop a standalone package which
11 >contains <package> -> policy mappings for many packages. It could
12 >perhaps, scan the emerge log or /var/db/pkg and create conf.d/ entries
13 >accordingly.
14
15 I think all three approaches are too much work for a very small
16 improvement in results. You can use Tripwire with global categories like
17 "userland binaries", "configuration files", etc... with good results (I
18 do). Per-package configuration seems overkill to me.
19
20 Also note that the first two solutions are not realistic : even if it
21 was very interesting to do so, I don't see anyone approve changing all
22 ebuilds (or doubling all ebuilds) just to make one package work better.
23 Better start your own tripwire-aware distribution...
24
25 That said, the third approach is possible : it's a lot of work, but at
26 least it does not require infrastructure or global ebuild changes ;)
27
28 -K
31 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list