From: Daniel Heemann <daniel.heemann@×××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Built in integrity?
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:25:00
1 On Tuesday 10 February 2004 14:15, Daniel Brandt wrote:
2 > Having a compiler on the system _does NOT matter_!
3 I think it does - as all other unnecessary software does.
4
5 > What? You think it's bad if an attacker can compile stuff on your server?
6 Yes.
7
8 > If you know you won't find an attacker _before_ he's playing with your
9 > compiler you should be more worried about your perimeter.
10 I do not know that - but do you know that you'll find him before?
11
12 > If I put myself in the attackers perspective, I would never compile
13 > exploit source code on a cracked server. I would use obfuscated binaries,
14 > nothing else, as this would further lessen the odds of discovery.
15 Hmm, let's say the attacker gains access to the machine, the firewall blocks
16 all binary transfer (I know uuencode/decode, but lets think the attacker is
17 not in the position to transfer executables onto the compromised system,
18 perhaps he can't transfer any files) and the attacker only needs 10 lines
19 of c-code to exploit the kernel or whatever - don't worry about if he can
20 compile the 10 lines or not?
21 Perhaps also the system runs on alpha hardware but the attacker only has x86
22 binaries etc..
23
24 > Doesn't OpenBSD ship with a compiler? It does. Applying patches to source
25 > code and compiling it is even the recommended way of keeping your system
26 > up to date.
27 If you really need a stable system you never compile and install any updates
28 on this system directly, you compile it on another system to verify it's
29 stablility etc. and than you can install it on the production system -
30 never said that bsd is better/inferior btw...
33 Overall I know that it's not the essential point to not have any compiler
34 installed, but if you want to install a secure and stable system I think it
35 is one point.
36 Also the compiler was only used as example for unnecessary software which
37 _can_ help the attacker, like a lot of other software which is normally
38 installed.
39
40 I don't want to discuss this further on this list as it's not a gentoo
41 specific problem and I still think that for production systems there are
42 some alternatives available...
43
44 Regards
45 Daniel
48 "Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary
49 safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
53 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list