From: "M. Steffan Noé" <ms.noe@×××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] Secure deletion of files...
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:51:27
1 Hello everybody
2 I just saw the comment about THC-SecureDelete on this website
3
4 http://www.thc.org/releases.php
5
6 > This is the best secure data deletion toolkit! If you overwrite a file for
7 > 10+ times, it can still be recovered. Read why and use the programs included
8 > (w/src!). These tools can wipe files, free disk space, swap and memory!
9 > Changes: Linux LKM for secure file deletion included, small bufixes.
10
11 and asked myself if this wouldn't be a good enhancement... inside of the linux
12 kernel...
13
14 Not only for security. I think if you delete a file with zeros you would
15 greatly enhance compression on dd backups. As far as i know the kernel just
16 removes the directory entry.
17
18 The disadvantage of such a secure deletion would be an impact in performance i
19 think...
20
21 What do you think about that?
22 Steffan Noé