From: rpfc@××××××××××××.pt
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o, David vasil <vasil@××××××.edu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] [OT?] automatically firewalling off IPs
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:02
1 > Jeremy,
2 > I agree with MaxieZ, a combination of SEC and Iptables work nicely
3 > in this situation and could be extended to other services like FTP,
4 > IMAP, Web authentication, etc. I personally do not feel that
5 > security through obscurity by changing the port numbers is a viable
6 > solution.
7
8 Changing port numbers in this case is not for "security". It's just a simple
9 solution against automated ssh attacks. If the attack is made by a
10 cracker that
11 really wants to attack a specific target, he will find the port.
12
13 Anyway, I change ports not for security purposes but only for stopping
14 automated
15 attacks filling up my logs. ;)
22 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list