From: Peter Simons <simons@××××.to>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] Re: Is anybody else worried about this? (was: Trojan for Gentoo, part 2)
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 18:25:40
1 Marc Ballarin writes:
2
3 > If a distributor promises package integrity through
4 > signatures, they are lying.
5
6 The signature doesn't promise that the package is "correct"
7 in any sense of the word, but it guarantees that it is the
8 same package Gentoo intended to distribute.
9
10 If you don't see how that improves security, then I frankly
11 don't know what else to say.
14 > This might work for glibc (Don't know, really.). But it
15 > certainly won't work for many other packages.
16
17 Again, this problem is not about glibc, it is about making
18 sure that data is distributed unmodified. I trust the Gentoo
19 developers to take care that the software they package up is
20 as secure as it can be. But I don't trust the Internet to
21 give me the same package that the Gentoo developers uploaded
22 to the main server.
25 > My point being: Manipulations can be subtle
26
27 Manipulations are impossible if the package is signed.
30 > If you use signatures to verify a package, you have to
31 > understand exactly what guarantees are given.
32
33 I do.
36 > The package or ebuild is identical to the version the
37 > Gentoo developer signed, provided that his workstation
38 > has not been compromised.
39
40 > Nothing else is guaranteed.
41
42 Then let's guarantee that and work from there, because
43 without that guarantee every other security measure is
44 pointless.
45
46 Peter
50 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list