From: Abhay Kedia <abhay.ilugd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] How to make iptables log to a separate log file?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:38:02
1 On Sunday 27 Nov 2005 9:09 pm, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
2 >
3 > The main advantage and the reason why I use that is that iptables
4 > logging messages tend to clutter up the kernel message log if not
5 > treated specially.
6 >
7 Yes and this is why I want them to be logged separately. Thanks to the helpful
8 replies by everyone, I have been able to log iptables log to a separate file
9 but the problem still remains.
10
11 /var/log/messages is getting flooded by iptables log. I can't see any helpful
12 output by using dmesg. The kernel config says that ULOG is deprecated so I
13 don't know how good it would be to use it. Also the kernel.log/kern.log is
14 not getting updated with messages like connection of a USB device and all; so
15 can't leave dmesg altogether.
16
17 Since it is a desktop machine, I will not be making database of my firewall
18 logs.Just require my dmesg output to be clean while having the ability of
19 looking at firewall logs occasionally. How can I achieve that? Should I
20 switch to ULOG? I am just a bit sceptical about using a deprecated thing.
21
22 Thanks once again to everyone for their replies
23 Regards,
24
25 Abhay