From: Pavel Labushev <p.labushev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o, gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] #342619 RESOLVED WONTFIX
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 02:08:28
1 > eruption or something else. Now collection is expanded to patches that
2 > will not be mainstreamed :> This is GOOD PRACTICE :). Thinking about
3
4 Another distros do include patches for glibc not accepted by mainstream.
5
6 In this particular case the patch is pretty trivial. And how many users
7 actually need those LD_* vars to be handled for setuid/setgid binaries?
8 My bet it's less than 1% of them, and even less than 0.1% of Hardened users.
9
10 And what's the problem with including the patch only for glibc[hardened]
11 and/or glibc[-debug]? I guess that's what at least Hardened users want:
12 to proactively secure their system, even at the expense of some
13 debugging facilities (PIE vs <gdb-7.1 as an example).
14
15 To reject the patch without any explaination was one man's decision I do
16 not agree personally, especially after Gentoo security team failed to
17 fix the recent glibc vulns in a timely manner.
18
19 On another point, if some users want this particular patch to be
20 included, they should speak for themselves. By now I don't see much
21 interest even among #gentoo-hardened people.