From: Bart <scarfboy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Let's blow the whistle
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:31:56
1 *discovers 'reply' doesn't send to the list - for about the sixth time in
2 as many months*
3 (Can someone please add a reply-to to the list software? It's a pain.)
6 Well, it's possible, but relatively moot. Unless you can automate it
7 or are the sys admin for some place (in which case you definately
8 shouldn't be doing this), It's a very specific attack with low yield.
9 Yes, it's not the strongest security, but if you need to hack an ISP
10 nameserver or proxy to exploit it it's pretty moot.
11
12 Admittedly, proxying modems and other such non-admin-installed
13 plug-and-forget hardware may be at risk. My dsl modem has the
14 stupidest setup - admin/admin as a default login, telnet access always
15 open to the 'net, and it can do dns proxying, although I don't think
16 it's in my ISP's default installation instructions. But with the bad
17 login, I'm sure some other people with the same modem didn't change
18 that and could be exploited. Yes, making portage authenticate somehow
19 would help...
20
21 Still, it sounds like a niche hack, I'll bet there are more pressing matters.
22
23 --Bart
26 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list