From: Alex Legler <a3li@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] No GLSA since January?!?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:41:54
1 On Friday 26 August 2011 14:08:38 Kevin Bryan wrote:
2 > Although I like having the summary information about what the
3 > vulnerability is, if I'm only reading them for packages I have
4 > installed, then a reference of some kind would suffice.
5 >
6 > I'd be fine even if it was just a new variable in the .ebuild file that
7 > somehow indicated which versions it was a fix for, reusing the syntax
8 > for dependency checking. A reference to the CVE or gentoo bug reference
9 > would be good, too:
10 >
11 > SECURITY_FIXES="<www-plugins/adobe-flash-10.1.102.64"
12 > SECURITY_REF="CVE:2010-2169 http://..."
13 > SECURITY_BUG="343089"
14 > SECURITY_IMPACT="remote"
15 >
16 > Then would be most of the work the committer needs to do is right there
17 > in a file they are modifying anyway.
18 >
19 > The portage @security set could also look for and evaluate these tags,
20 > instead of parsing the GLSA's.
21
22 A complete change of the system is very unlikely.
23 Nevertheless: What is the end-to-end process in your solution? (i.e.
24 vulnerability report to 'advisory' release)
25
26 A while ago a similar solution was proposed. Basically you want to shift our
27 job back to the package maintainers. That might work, but rais a few new
28 issues.
29
30 We'd automatically lose some consistency, because not everyone would follow
31 the needed or wanted data scheme. Such a thing is much better to control in a
32 smaller and better connected group of people.
33
34 Also, cleanup and large amounts of issues in packages are issues. Browsers
35 usually get hundreds of CVEs assigned in a year, that would be all in the
36 Ebuild, and for how long?
37
38 Personally, I'm not convinced this is a model that would be an improvement
39 over the current situation.
40
41 Alex
44 Alex Legler <a3li@g.o>