From: Calum <gentoo-security@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] Kernels and GLSAs
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:14:07
1 Hello all,
2
3 I was told recently that kernels weren't included in GLSA updates, and a
4 new tool called KISS (Kernel Interactive Security Status) was being
5 developed to analyse the running kernel for vulnerabilities.
6
7 I don't know if I missed an announcement about this, but this means that
8 I've been running with (probably) vulnerable kernels ever since kernels
9 weren't included in GLSAs, and that if I had missed it, maybe others had.
10 (I don't update my live boxes with anything that isn't a security
11 update, or a well tested upgrade to add new functionality).
12
13 I prefer the idea that tracking one source (GLSAs) would provide me with
14 all the information I needed to keep my Gentoo boxes secure, but if we
15 were all to change to a new system, perhaps the kernel GLSAs should have
16 overlapped with this new system until it was in, tested, and adopted?
17
18 I wonder what other people on this list think about this - again -
19 apologies if I missed any announcement about this.
22 Calum
25 gpg : FC64 140F@××××××××××××××.net
26 jabber: calum@×××××××××××.org
27 --