From: Oliver Schad <o.schad@×××.de>
To: Daniel Privratsky <dsokrates@××××××.cz>, gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] firewall suggestions?
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:05:45
1 Am Donnerstag, 8. Januar 2004 18:57 schrieb mir Daniel Privratsky:
2 > Wrong.
3 >
4 > 1) If you don't receive "destination unreachable" packet, you know
5 > nothing about the target host yet. This is not perfect-network world.
6 > There can be other fw/router anywhere in the way, killing this type of
7 > icmp traffic.
8 >
9 > 2) It slows scans a lot. You can of course do scannig in parallel, but
10 > don't be surprised, when you find yourself killed with no mercy by IDS,
11 > after matching SYN threshold. 1000+ syns/sec form IP adress to
12 > monitored system is sure ban.
13
14 What the fuck...
15 I don't understand this, we want to break internet standards because some
16 script kids could be (under some circumstances) a little bit slower with
17 their attacks, which can only be successful, when an administrator is too
18 stupid to configure his systems. Is that the argumentation for breaking
19 internet standards?
20
21 *argh*
22