From: Daniel Brandt <daniel.brandt@××××.se>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Built in integrity?
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:37:51
1 On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:24:34 +0100
2 Daniel Heemann <daniel.heemann@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Tuesday 10 February 2004 14:15, Daniel Brandt wrote:
5 > > If you know you won't find an attacker _before_ he's playing with your
6 > > compiler you should be more worried about your perimeter.
7 > I do not know that - but do you know that you'll find him before?
10 I'm certain of it. As certain as I can be with honeytokens, host-based IDS, homebrew scripts and years of experience.
11
12 > Hmm, let's say the attacker gains access to the machine, the firewall blocks
13 > all binary transfer (I know uuencode/decode, but lets think the attacker is
14 > not in the position to transfer executables onto the compromised system,
15 > perhaps he can't transfer any files) and the attacker only needs 10 lines
16 > of c-code to exploit the kernel or whatever - don't worry about if he can
17 > compile the 10 lines or not?
18 > Perhaps also the system runs on alpha hardware but the attacker only has x86
19 > binaries etc..
20
21 Too hypothetic, transfer of a binary file will be possible if there is two-way communication. Non x86 hardware is not a problem because of cross compiling.
22
23 > never said that bsd is better/inferior btw...
24
25 Understood.
26
27 > I don't want to discuss this further on this list as it's not a gentoo
28 > specific problem and I still think that for production systems there are
29 > some alternatives available...
32 This is a gentoo issue since gentoo ships with a live compiler in it's default setting, making it a must.
33
34 But whatever the case, alternatives exist and individual security measures are always of some use.
35
36 Cheers,
37 Daniel
40 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list